Free Patterns

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Another Bit of Whine

Today I met my new health care partner. She is very pleasant and easy to be with. A very important thing for me. My new Doc is easy to talk to, very attentive to what you say and even what you don't and isn't judgemental or patronizing. Again, very important to me.

We had a great chat. I brought my list of "testing the water" complaints and the water was fine. But there was one really sharp stone just beneath the surface that couldn't be budge. My weight.

Ever since my surgery - an oopherectomy (some call it a total hysterectomy) my metabolism has been slowly shutting down. My weight zoomed from 139 to 178 in 5 years. Not because I eat too much or badly, but because my system had gone from "hunt" to "tend the fire". And, the bad news is, that, as my new Doc tried to explain, once your metabolism is allowed to shut down, as in surgically taking away the hormones it needs and not replacing them quickly, it is nearly impossible to get it back. It has been 5 years. A bit of a stretch.

I forgot my food diary, with the whole truth and nothing but the truth. But after our discussion of dietary habits was told I eat a reasonably healthy diet rich in vegetables, legumes and nuts; low in red meat and fruit. I have become extremely sensitive to carbohydrates and fall asleep in my oatmeal - insulin resistance she says. So breads and pastas are now a treat to be had only on occasion. More meats and fresh veggies. More brans and seeds along with my almonds and walnuts. Fruit later in the day will cause me to sleep better at night if I time it right.

All in all, it wasn't a bad visit. But I am very disturbed over the weight thing. I have been exercising and have a varied and fun routine. I have been trying to eat right. One would think that doing those things that are time tested ways to get rid of unwanted pounds would work. I my case, and I am sure many other cases out there, that just isn't so. I hate being overweight! I have never been overweight! This is the largest I have ever been and I don't like it. Not one bit! And to learn that it will be a struggle to get rid of even 5 lbs isn't something I wanted to hear. The fact that I have stopped gaining "is to be commended". Small joy.

5 comments:

Boondock Ma (Kim's Mom) said...

Ah, Bev. What a frustrating day for you! Wish I knew something that could help. I do really like how you refer to your Dr. as your health care partner. I've never heard that before. It sounds more personal, and proactive.

Hugs!

LenaL said...

Oh dear, how frustrating it sounds! You must feel so helpless, tried everything and nothing gives result.

I really hope and wish something will turn up to help you.

Hugs!

Brigitte said...

:( I guess it's a right balance thing. Everyone is different - I know I sleep better if I have a touch of protein before I go to bed. I had the same procedure - however, I have one "oopher" left, so I didn't become menopausal. Keep researching to find what's right for you!

Carrie K said...

Maybe forgoing the carbs will help but honestly, I get so tired of the overweight bit. If the rest of your health issues check out fine, why is it such a huge thing? It just seems to me to be so cosmetic.

Becca said...

You are beautiful inside and out. And I love you! It sounds like your health care partner is on the ball, so hang in there! You'll find out what works for you......