Free Patterns

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Holidays On The Way

There are times when little things begin to scratch away at you.  A little niggle within the cerebral cortex.  A small knot in the throat when hearing an old song.  A small laugh when you catch a little memory flitting around in your head.

With the first of our holidays looming I am reminded of holidays past.  Not because of what we are doing this year, but because of what we have done in the past.  Does this mean I am getting old?  Won't go there!  But, I digress -

This Thanksgiving is going to be the first in years that I haven't been surrounded by family.  My older children are scattered across the country, spending the holidays with their family or can't come for one reason or another.  My siblings and father are in California and don't even think about heading across the country for a turkey dinner.  And, my husbands family is in Wyoming and will more than likely be sharing the day with my oldest son. 

What little thoughts have been flitting through my head this year?  That I miss my father's wry sense of humor.  He is one of the kindest and funniest people I have ever known.  Yes, even kinder and funnier than my beloved Boyfriend. I miss my mother-in-law's pies.  She can bake a pie that would put Marie Calendar into a frenzy of competitive pique!  I miss the gentleness that is my father-in-law.  I miss the outrageous, outlandishness of my brother and the quiet, stillness of my sister.  I will miss the clamor caused by too much family around a too small table, that, in the past was an annoyance at best, but now, that it isn't mine to be annoyed about, is a small comfort.  Family.

If possible, be thankful for the family you have around you now, because they may not be there tomorrow.

To my family - all of you - and my friends - all of you too - Have a wonderful holiday season and know, you are in my thoughts as that little niggle in the cerebral cortex, the little knot in my throat, and the song that plays in my heart.

2 comments:

Becca said...

I am thankful to have you as my friend!!

Carrie K said...

Aw, sweet! Happy Thanksgiving.