Free Patterns

Friday, June 12, 2020

Hello Again

It seems like forever since I have written anything. I often get the urge and say I will write later. Then I don't. Always busy with something else like petting my dog, spinning some yarn, knitting something that may or may not get finished. Always something.

Because there is always something maybe I should talk about it here. In the past that seemed to be the thing to do. Why not now?

So, some of the changes since 2018...

The BF and I are living in and traveling (well, not right now) in our RV. We began this little journey in February of 2019. Since then we have been from New York state to California and back again. The COVID pandemic threw us back to our starting point for the summer. Hope to be on the road again by fall.

Because we can't travel, hobbies have come back to the forefront...cooking, spinning, knitting and writing of all things.

Have been working on a few new recipes that I will post in my cooking blog soon. Fun stuff.

As far as the others:

Purchased this amazing silk to cable ply with some equally amazing sure alpaca. Spinning silk is an art. Not one I was familiar with until a couple of days ago. Spinning silk is like trying to tame a kitten by holding it in the palm of your hand while it struggles to get away. You have to find just the right grip to keep it (the kitten) from jumping out of your hand. Silk needs a gentle hold, but not so gentle as to allow the twist to creep up into the gently held sliver. It takes a bit of practice. But, once mastered, silk can be spun into the finest wee bit of singles!




If you can see it, the single is so fine that it falls between the b and the e in Liberty. I didn't notice this until I saw the photo!

As for the Suri, it was a challenge because of the VM, second cuts and noils in the fiber. Made for slow going in the spinning process. But, it is finished and N-plied into a beautiful, soft 3 ply.


Really curious as to how the finished product will look. Have never cable plied before. Should be interesting.



 




No comments: